Columbus Circle Statue
Columbus Circle, completed in 1905, is a
well-known landmark and attraction on
It is on the
intersection of Central Park South,
Broadway, Central Park West and 8th Avenue.
The circle was
designed by businessman William P. Eno, who
pioneered many innovations in traffic
control and road safety. Eno’s design was
consistent with Frederick Law Olmsted’s
vision that included a “Grand Circle”
located at Merchants’ Gate for the park.
at the center of the Columbus Circle is the
work of Italian sculptor Gaetano Russo. It
is the point from which distances to and
from New York are officially measured.
It was built
as part of New York’s 400 years anniversary
celebration of Columbus’ voyage to the
Americas in 1492. Funds raised by an
Italian-language newspaper, Il Progresso,
were used to construct the monument. The
monument is made up of Columbus’ marble
statue placed on top of a granite column
seventy feet high.
The column is
decorated with bronze reliefs of Columbus’
three ships, the Pinta, the Nina and the
Santa Maria. Sitting on the pedestal of the
monument is an angel holding a globe. In
2005, the circle was renovated and new
elements including new water fountains,
wooden benches and plants were added. The
Olin Partnership of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania was awarded the 2006 American
Architects’ General Design Award of Honor
for the circle’s redesign.